Article I - Name
1. This organization shall be called: Midwestern State University ACM
Student Chapter. In these Bylaws it is referred to as the Chapter; the
Association for Computing Machinery is referred to as ACM.
Article II - Purpose
1. The Chapter is organized and will be operated exclusively for
educational and scientific purposes to promote the following:
a. An increased knowledge of and greater interest in the science,
design, development, construction, languages, management and
applications of modern computing.
b. Greater interest in computing and its applications.
c. A means of communication between persons having an interest in
2. The Chapter will serve students at Midwestern State University and
other interested persons in the community.
3. The Chapter is chartered by ACM.
Article III - Membership
1. Membership in the Student Chapter shall be open to all ACM
members and nonmembers.
2. Voting membership in the Student Chapter shall be granted to all
active Chapter members.
3. Membership shall not be restricted according to race, creed, age,
gender, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, economic status,
veteran status, or parenthood.
Article IV - Officers
1. The officers of this Chapter shall be: Chair, Vice Chair, and
Treasurer. These individuals must be ACM Student Members. In
addition, a Faculty Sponsor with an ACM Professional Membership is
required. Other officers may also be established.
2. The officers shall be elected by a plurality of votes cast at the annual
election meeting or via electronic voting and serve for a minimum of
3. Appointment or nomination of an individual to an officer position
within an ACM Chapter shall be in general limited to two full
consecutive terms in the same position. This recommendation is
intended to encourage the continuing infusion of new volunteers into
the organization and to encourage office holders to give thought to
planning for their successor.
Article V - Duties of Officers
1. The Chair is the principal officer and is responsible for leading the
Chapter and managing its activities in accordance with the policies and
procedures of ACM and these bylaws.
2. The Vice Chair shall preside at meetings in the absence of the Chair,
assist the Chair in the management of the Chapter, and perform other
duties that may be assigned by the Chair.
3. The Treasurer shall keep the minutes of all Chapter meetings and
maintain the Chapter's financial records. Other duties include:
a. Collecting dues, paying all bills, and maintaining records for the
b. Preparation of the Chapter's annual report and officer contact
information, and submission of these to ACM Headquarters via the
Chapter Administrative Interface.
c. Submission of any proposed amendment to these bylaws must be
submitted to ACM Headquarters - Chapters Department. Proposed
amendments must be approved before they can be submitted to the
Chapter's membership for a vote.
d. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chair
4. The Faculty Sponsor shall be a faculty member or full-time staff
member of your school. Each Student Chapter has one Sponsor.
a. The Faculty Sponsor shall be a voting member of ACM and either a
member of the faculty or full-time staff of Midwestern State University.
b. The Faculty Sponsor shall be generally responsible for the activities
of the Chapter. Specifically, the Sponsor:
i. helps provide continuity from year to year as student leadership and
ii. promotes good student-faculty relationships.
iii. helps maintain university standards in all activities of the Chapter.
iv. exercises financial supervision, if necessary, by promoting prompt
payment of bills and collection of dues, and overseeing the settlement
of all accounts in the event of dissolution of the Chapter.
v. represents the Chapter interests to the faculty and administration.
vi. For high school Chapters and underage students the Faculty
Sponsor must be in attendance at every meeting that is held in the
evening. In the event that the appointed sponsor is not available,
another faculty member may chaperone the meeting. If both are not
available, a local area professional, previously investigated and
approved by the school, can be assigned to supervise evening
Article VI - Meetings
1. The Chapter shall hold meetings only in places that are open and
accessible to all members of the Association.
2. An annual election meeting should be held. At this meeting, the
Treasurer will present the required reports. Also, the election of
officers shall be held.
3. Notices of all meetings shall be distributed to all members at least
one week prior to any meeting.
Article VII - Disbursements and Dues
1. Disbursements from the Treasury for Chapter expenditures shall be
made by any active Chapter officer and shall be included in the
minutes of its meetings.
2. Dues shall be fixed annually.
Article VIII - Amendment and Voting Procedure
1. All proposed changes to these Chapter Bylaws shall be approved by
ACM Headquarters - Chapters Department before being presented to
the Chapter membership for a vote.
2. No official business of the Chapter shall be conducted unless a
quorum is present. A quorum of the Chapter shall be defined as a
majority of the voting membership of the Chapter.
3. Officers will be elected by a plurality of votes cast.
Article IX - Code of Conduct
1. Harassment or hostile behavior is unwelcome, including speech that
intimidates, creates discomfort, or interferes with a person's
participation or opportunity for participation, in a Chapter meeting or
Chapter event. Harassment in any form, including but not limited to
harassment based on alienage or citizenship, age, color, creed,
disability, marital status, military status, national origin, pregnancy,
childbirth- and pregnancy-related medical conditions, race, religion,
sex, gender, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other status
protected by laws in which the Chapter meeting or Chapter event is
being held, will not be tolerated. Harassment includes the use of
abusive or degrading language, intimidation, stalking, harassing
photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, sexual
imagery and unwelcome sexual attention. A response that the
participant was “just joking,” or “teasing,” or being “playful,” will not be
2. Anyone witnessing or subject to unacceptable behavior should notify
a Chapter officer or ACM Headquarters.
3. Individuals violating these standards may be sanctioned or excluded
from further participation at the discretion of the Chapter officers or
responsible committee members.
Article X - Dissolution of the Chapter
1. Dissolution of this Chapter by consent of the members shall consist
of unanimous agreement of all its officers together with a majority vote
at a meeting which has been publicized in advance to all members of
the Chapter for the purpose of taking this vote.
2. Should this Chapter be dissolved, its assets and liabilities shall be
transferred to ACM and shall be supervised by the ACM Finance
Director. Funds given to the Chapter from the University shall be
returned to the University.